Responsible Business – Let’s take responsibility
Dubai Lodging's Environmentally Aware Approach to Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children's rights, health and safety, as well as environmental improvements. To read more about the RB programme, please go to Responsible Business
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the international charity organisation recognised by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of Childhood is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world. See www.childhood.org for further information.
Below are some of the RB activities and achievements of this hotel:
Environmentally Friendly Initiatives/Activities
- All guest rooms, public areas and staff areas at the hotel are fitted with water restrictors and/or sensor system to avoid waste.
- All lighting areas are fitted with motion detectors, photo-cells and/or timers.
- A complete, comprehensive and active programme exists together with a dedicated team to monitor and manage waste.
- Dedicated Green Garden in Staff Quarters to encourage more tree planting and establish a greener environment.
- Joint involvement with the Dubai Municipality in their annual Marasina Clean Up Campaign.
- Celebration of the Earth Hour on annual basis together with guests and staff.
Social and Community Outreach
- Annual Ginger Bread House Event in the festive season with all revenue from the event donated to a local children's charity organization.
- Quarterly blood donation volunteered by staff members in aid of Al Wasel and Rashid Hospitals Children's Section.
- Yearly participation in the Dubai Terry Fox Run, in aid of and to create awareness of cancer.
- Yearly participation in the BurJuman Breast Cancer Awareness Programme.
- Various internal activities to collect donations for the charity partner organisation of the Rezidor Hotel Group - World Childhood Foundation.
Health, Safety & Security Initiatives
- Comprehensive HACCP Certification.
- Comprehensive Fire & Life Safety Measures reinforced through the dedicated FLS Team.
- Food For Thought programme in all restaurants enabling guests to have a wide choice of healthy food items.
- A comprehensive and fully sponsored medical check-up programme available for all staff members in addition to the annual medical.
- All of the 650+ staff members have undergone or will undergo the dedicated Living Responsible Business Programme, which educates about the Company's Corporate Social Responsibility Programme as well as how staff can contribute.
- Ongoing refresher training through the On Job Skills Training Programme - specially targeting waste management and energy conservation.
- Continuous improvements for the greener living and working environment.
- Ongoing recycling programme in the Back of House areas where staff actively take part.
Awards and Achievements
- Special Recognition Award by the Dubai Civil Defense for fully complying with the local safety and security measures - awarded in April 2008.
- Appreciation Award by the Dubai Municipality for co-sponsoring their Annual Marasina Clean-up Campaign.
- Appreciation Awards by the Department of Social Affairs for co-sponsoring a Special Iftar Event for Children from less privileged families.
How can guests take part in the hotel's RB Activities?
- The Towel Replacement Programme - Should guests wish to reuse a towel, simply place it on the rack. This will help to cut down on water consumption.
- Guests can take part in the hotel's quarterly blood donation programme should the stay coincide with the designated date of the event.
- Donations towards the Red Crescent - local branch