Green hotel in Oslo promotes Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan, covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety. That tradition continues with Responsible Business at this environmentally friendly, or green, hotel in Oslo.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization recognised by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
- General manager's informative monthly letter
- RB information placed in each guest room
- Responsible Fact Sheet in all sales activities and contracts
- Use of organic and ecologically sound products when available
- Introductory RB programme for all new staff
- Quarterly RB Training Courses
- RB Activity Calendar focusing on monthly social and environmental challenges
- RB information board and internal information channel
- "From Children to Children" day for the children of employees to run the hotel for a day and to host different events for children from neighbouring schools
- Support of the Strømme Foundation, a non-governmental organisation
- Support such charities as "Nedre Akerselva Vel," the Network centre MARTE (Red Cross), the Church City Mission, the Norwegian Air Ambulance and the Norwegian Police against drug abuse among youth
- Works with the City of Oslo as a support centre for relatives and friends in need in time of municipal crisis
- Seeks to reduce energy and water consumption
- Works to reduce waste generation
The hotel's proudest achievement within this area has been to receive the Nordic Eco Label – the Swan Label. The hotel meets the world's strictest environmental requirements on energy and water conservation, chemicals and waste disposal.